Monday, May 22, 2006

Dear Mr. Goretex



I don't know if I can explain how much it rains here. I thought after living in Vancouver on the wet-coast, and living in Cape Town (basically the only place it balls-out rains in Africa....) I would know what rain is. But Wiang Sa is a rainforest if I've ever seen one before. In the past 24 hours it has rained over 55cm. YES Centimeters....not millimeters...Just to let you know the all-time BC record at Tofino is 48.9cm(http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=A1ARTA0010745)

It's like Mother Nature just gave up trying to control the rainfall and just let it dump. I didn't know there was this much freshwater in the world. The raindrops are the size of timbits and hit you at a rate of about 200 drops/second. I came to school today wearing my goretex jacket, a rain poncho that all the locals have, and my umbrella....still arriving soaked to the bone. The rice paddy on our property is now a 5ft deep lake, and the football field at the school is now the swimming pool. I didn't fall asleep last night until 2am because the sound of the rain on our tin roof was deafining.

Well its 12:04and i'm off to teach grade 5 how to write their name, birthday, interests and phone number. That is if the classroom isn't flooded. A teacher just told me that the Nan river just overflowed its banks, so there actually might be some flooding in the area, but no one seems overly concerned....

...So all you who are jealous about me being in Thailand, just stand under a hot shower on full power for 24 hours and see how tanned you get.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?