Monday, July 03, 2006

POGGS

I can see why the teachers at Southlands Elementary School banned 'POGGS' when I was in grade 4.

The kids at Sriwiangsa have these 'Advent' cards that they collect and then play this game where you hold them in your hand and then high-five someone else with one and the cards fall to the floor and someone wins. I obviously as an ancient teacher don't understand it, but I do understand how annoying it is when the kids are secretly playing the game, or trading the cards, or shuffling them, or....ahhhhh!!! I mean isn't the riviting lesson I'm teaching about prepositions and nouns exciting enough???

I snapped today and took them away from a kid, and he started to cry. Not that crying even bothers me anymore, a kid crys about twice a lesson: but I was nice and gave the cards back after his 5 minute time-out.

Other than students being students, I'm having a great day! My lessons this week are so great, some of the best I've come up with I'm sure. This weekend was fun. On Sunday I rode my bike to Laos. Well by mistake, I just turned right instead of left and kept going. Apparently I rode the 30 km to Laos and had to turn back at the river. On Saturday it was Canada day, and as all my friends in South Africa know, I'm pretty passionate about spreading the greatness of Canada through culinary methods. So I figured I'd make my Thai host-family, the random neighbors who are always around, and the teachers some Kraft Dinner. Using one of the two precious boxes I brought from home. I got the rice maker (the only cooking item we have) some milk and butter (not easy feats in rural thailand) but everyone was busy that day....argh. So instead of waste the precious blue box I decided to save it for another day. By the time i'm finished traveling the world is going to be so confused as to what day is Canada Day... (Texas and South Africa already think it is August 1st) I had some fun conversations about the day though, this one took place at lunch with Pa Pian our homestay aunty....

Me: "Today is Canada day. Birthday of Canada"
Pa Pian: "Yoo? Birftdahy Loourla?"
Me: "Nonono, pratet (country) Canada, today, now, birthday."
Pa Pian: "Ohhh Caaaanaaadahhhh. Miss Universe? Natalie!!! Souuuai (beautiful)"
Me: "No. Not Natalie. Canada. Pratet. Birthday. neung roi sam sip ho (136) Like King birthday in Thailand. Now Canaday Birthday"
Pa Pian: "_____________" (the stunned look with mouth partly open that I get about 698792 times a day)"Ah roi maa kah?" (do you find your lunch delicious?...changing the subject to what we talk about every single meal)
Me: sigh.... "Jow, ahhh roi maaa" (yes I find it delicious...giving up any hope of sharing my cultural celebration...)
Comments:
I super hearted that blog. i miss kd.
 
dude....do your math.

2006 - 1867 = 139 years.

no wonder the poor woman didn't know what the deuce you were talking about.
haaahahaha. i love you!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?